Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Caulfield - Reminiscing the Past

The past could be full of the greatest memories an individual would reminisce through the years and sometimes, it appears to be the opposite. In my opinion, the past is one of the greatest ways to motivate oneself to improve to be a much more better person. Mistakes are made and therefore, couldn't be fixed that same time, but there is always another chance for everyone to make those up. Past experiences depends on each and every individual. For Holden, I assume he definitely still values and remembers every single moment that he and Jane shared with each other. And probably the times he spent with his family; his childhood with them.

"How's Phoebe doing?" I asked Holden. "She's doing great, she's growing up so fast. Glad she's enjoying her childhood life; that's the best part," Holden said. That's the thing about life, it may seem really slow and boring at times, but when you just go with the flow and let things go their way, you don't know how much time you have wasted and actions you should have done before its too late. "That's alright, we all have to get old and mature at some point," with an exchange of smile. "True," he nodded.

"How's the rest of your family? Would you mind talking about them? I haven't heard about them yet," I said. "Oh, I'm sorry, Ms. Reyes. I don't live with them and so I don't have that much issues or confessions about them lately, but I have two brothers and a sister," Holden said. "Oh, it's fine, Holden. I was just wondering." I then asked him about his brothers. "Allie and D.B., are my brothers. Allie-"He's dead now. He got leukemia and died when we were up in Maine, on July 18, 1946"(pg.38). I was surprised, "I'm sorry about that, Holden. If you wish, you can stop-" "Oh no, it's fine and thanks." He paused for a couple moments. "And D.B. "...he's my brother and all. He's in Hollywood. That isn't too far from this crumby place and he comes over and visits me practically every weekend. He's going to drive me home when I go home next month maybe." (pg.1). It's nice to know how the connection of him and his sibling are still intact into him. And the feeling of excitement and joy Holden feels when he gets to see D.B. But what I am afraid to ask about is his brother who passed away; for some people it's really a huge deal about them to talk about their loved ones who had left, but i'll give it a try for Holden. I'm his psychoanalyst, who just wants to help him.

"Would you mind if-" "If we talk about Allie? No, I said it's fine. It's normal but if you want to know the truth, I sometimes feel lonely and all," he said. "Oh, i'm sorry. I didn't mean to, but i'm just here to help; anytime of the day to listen to your stories and confessions," I felt bad, in a way. Holden started talking again, "... I wrote about my brother Allie's baseball mitt. It was very a descriptive subject. It really was. My brother Allie had this left handed fielder's mitt. He was left handed. The thing that was descriptive about it, though, was that he had poems written all over the fingers and the pocket and everywhere. In green ink. He wrote them on it so that he'd have something to read when he was in the field and nobody was up at bat" (pg.38). Holden wrote about him probably because he misses him a lot. Time can heal things, but it can never bring back the old times exactly. "And remember at that one time when I told you I brought old Phoebe to the zoo? "When she was a very tiny little kid, Allie and D.B. and I used to go to the park with her, she was mad about the carousel. You couldn't get here off the goddam thing" (pg.210).

Holden and his siblings were actually connected and in touch with each other when they were little. Earlier, I remember him saying that childhood was the best part. And now, I have a clue why and how his childhood was the best part, according to him. And also, to think that D.B. now lives in Hollywood, Allie is gone, Phoebe is with their parents; enjoying her childhood while Holden lives in his dorm or someplace else is definitely opposite than what they were years ago. These events that happened in his life may also be a huge impact into what he is today, what he does and all his decisions. You can't blame Holden for feeling what he is, at the moment but everything starts with something and ends up the way it is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment